Jaidyn got her tonsils and adenoids taken out last Wednesday. She was very nervous in the few weeks leading up to her surgery. She had been wanting to get her tonsils out for years but when it finally came close to the day she changed her mind. So a couple days before, I told her we would take her to Build-a-Bear to pick out a special friend to take with her to the hospital. She was very excited about that!
The day of the surgery we were told to arrive at 9:15 am. (Thanks Sherilyn for watching Holton so Cyril and I could both be at the hospital for Jaidyn!) We checked in at admitting and then went up to the third floor to Day Surgery. After Jaidyn changed into her hospital clothes we sat around for a while before the nurse came to prep her for surgery. Jaidyn was feeling pretty nervous by then but the nurse was really nice and helped calm her. She told us all about what to expect and answered our questions and then we were left to relax and wait some more. Finally around 11:15 am the porter came to wheel Jaidyn down to the holding area. Cyril and I were able to come. We waited a short time there before the anesthesiologist came to talk to us and answer questions, as well as Dr Bosch who was doing the procedure. We then gave hugs and kisses and said goodbye and then they took her off to the operating room. Cyril and I then went to the family waiting area to wait. I was surprised at how calm I felt!
After about an hour and a half they paged us to come back to her room because she was awake. We were back in the room when they wheeled her in and she was already eating a popsicle. She was still groggy and a little sore but doing well. She even opened her mouth to show us her throat.
After the surgery we had to wait 6 hours before we were able to go home and we were told that the more fluids she has the faster the recovery and so Jaidyn did what she was told. She drank a whole can of Gingerale and about 10 popsicles during that 6 hours as well as several glasses of water. This did have one disadvantage...she was up to go to the bathroom every half hour to an hour. The nurse even told us that she peed more than 1 litre in 4 hours!
The day was quite long but it did seem to pass quickly, although Jaidyn was anxious to go home. She was even wanting to go for a walk only an hour after her surgery but they told her it was too soon. After a few more hours they did let her walk around the unit and later they even took out her IV so I could take her in a wheelchair down to the cafeteria. She was very excited when Rachelle, Matt and Tobi came to visit. They even brought her a game to help pass the time. Cyril had gone to pick up Mateya from school and take her to dance and then brought Holton back with him to the hospital. Cyril arrived right after Rachelle and Matt and since it was dinner time, they offered to take Holton to McDonald's with them. Jaidyn was released from the hospital at about 7:30 pm. We stopped to pick up Holton and then picked up Mateya from dance so Jaidyn fell asleep in the van. And she wasn't snoring!
All in all the day went better than I expected. I thought Jaidyn's voice would be a little hoarse but it sounded pretty normal and she was even talking lots .... nothing unusual for Jaidyn! I did give her Tylenol every 4 hours but I thought she would be more sore and tired. I was really surprised how quickly she recovered! She even had to come with me to pick up Holton from school the next day and you would never have guessed she had been in surgery the day before.
Thank you Dr Bosch and all the staff at the hospital for a successful surgery! Jaidyn is relieved it is over and happy that she doesn't snore anymore!
No comments:
Post a Comment